March 3, 2013

Back to The Basics

March 3, 2013
It’s the time of the year in the Northern hemisphere when the sun reveals how dirty the windows are and how much dust has collected above and below the eye level. This week, I have been brushing, mopping, washing, recycling and throwing away sacks of rubbish. It’s a good start. However, a conversation with a friend reminded me of something I’ve neglected to sweep: my heart and mind. The former looks like a chimney and the latter is about to explode with unsorted ideas, ambitions and emotions.

I’ve always had an urge to simplify. That’s why I’m drawn to ascetics and sages. They are oblivious to mundane. Their depth of reality, unlocked by the inner eye, remains invisible to those who rush to conquer the world of names. Bare souls, stripped from designations, are often stigmatized as socially plain, simpletons. It doesn’t bother me. On the contrary, I’m intrigued by the sustenance and satisfaction provoked by an apparent lack of amplitude. Is there anything more valuable than freedom and satisfaction experienced by an uncluttered mind? It always seeks to apprehend particles in relation to a whole. Such genius of thought is able to extract the essence of all with a single stroke, without entangling with details and forms. It serves the core of our being and connection to the primordial awareness and values, Divinity.
Dal1Dal2
Although sophistication has a derogatory annotation in the modern language, we are keen to aspire it. Its origin is in Greek sophos, wisdom, which was an ornament of poets and visionaries who reached to verbalize beneficial concepts for others. However, the philosophers of the 5th century BC – sometimes referred to as the hair-splitting wordsmiths – brought the practice down with a thirst for power and deception at the cost of truth. Their willingness to sell an idea for popularity describes accurately the tendency to move outwards, away from the center of perception, and simplicity.

As a network of conditions, arranged by a complex mind, sophistication is loaded with prerequisites, ranks, restrictions, details, theories, proofs and qualifications that all must be met on a social and individual level before there is contentment! Any imbalance in a situation, performance or formula will create a negative setback. For a soul, who is – by au naturel – conscious, knowledgeable and blissful, it’s a trap! In the name of refinement and betterment, it attaches us to the subtleties of form. When appraising externals, there is a chance we will divert from the sincerity of intention and, no longer, see the context.

To me, spring cleaning means to undress and fold away layers and layers of self-appointed identifications I have collected over the winter. Returning to blogging, finally, brings me back to the basics. I would like this year to mark my kitchen meditation as an opportunity for personal reform. Combining ingredients in a palatable manner counts (to me) only to the degree it makes me genuine and decreasingly envious, angry, greedy, lusty, mad and under an illusion of who I am, where I’m heading at, and why.
Dal3Dal6
Today’s recipe of tomato dal stands for simplicity. As the most advantageous yoga food nature has to offer, it has an exceptional nutritional profile. It’s rich in protein, B-vitamins and minerals. Combined with plain rice, it forms the base of a balanced meal.

Technically, dal is not a soup although the consistency is often soupy. It’s rather considered gravy.
Dal5Dal4
Mung beans are the most digestible of the varieties of pulses known, and can be served to children and elderly alike. Hulled and split, they provide a neutral canvas for spices. A little bit of ginger, chili, cumin, coriander and hing fried in a spoonful of ghee quickly paints an exciting lunch or dinner. There is no limit to the intricacy of flavors that can be pulled out by adding cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, fennel, anise, fenugreek, kalonji or mustard seeds…
Dal9Dal7
However, more important than the altitude of aromas is the consciousness by which the food is prepared, served and enjoyed. It brings us back to the realm of purpose that supports our relationships in this world, and beyond.

Food cooked for the well-being and pleasure of others will generate happiness. The depth and intensity of it translates to our ability to love. When it barely reaches beyond our own needs, it’s meager and miserly. When it transcends the physical laws of nature, and touches the soul of all souls, everyone will benefit.
Dal8Dal8a
Thank you.

45 comments :

  1. This tomato dal looks like a great way to jump into spring and cleaner eating! I clicked on the recipe, but I couldn't seem to find how much dal you used (perhaps I skipped over that line in the recipe). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for noticing that I skipped the amount of dal! The recipe is corrected now. There is one Cup (250 ml) dal.

      Delete
    2. Awesome! Thank you! I can't wait to make this recipe :)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! !!!
    Dal is a true comfort. . This looks fabulous.
    As soon as I saw this I jumped here. ... Good to see you back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your site. I cook with very limited use of spices and I am learning so much and your photos make everything look delicious which invites me to try new things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monica, my obeservation is that it is actually more difficult to cook tasty food with a fewer spices than plenty. The funny thing about simplicity is that it is often more demanding than fanciness.

      Delete
  4. ce doit Ăªtre dĂ©licieux et rĂ©confortant, quelles belles images, Tine

    ReplyDelete
  5. It just so happens that I was waiting for my version of yellow dal "soup" to cook when I sat down to check my email and saw your recipe. While my soup is good, your version with tomatoes and "sweet spices" sounds very interesting and yummy. I will make it soon, as I am exhausted by winter and find myself in need of a lot of comforting food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never tasted "bad" dal. It is just so good by nature. Even if only a few spices are added, it is delicious, especially with a spoonful of ghee. The same, simple ingredient bends to millions of variations. Dal must be one of the most versatile food items.

      Delete
  6. A beautiful soup! Exactly the kind of food I am craving at the moment.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely. So glad you are blogging again. I hope you achieve the sophisticated simplicity you crave.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In your words, i find my answers, in your dal I find comfort. wonderful to see you back Lakshmi. love -

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lashmi, I am thrilled to see you blogging again. Thank you for returning with keen insight and a celebration of clarity. It is interesting, how many of us aspire to pare down to the basics, only to find ourselves clogging our lives with excess. This beautiful soup is a lovely reminder of how to embrace fresh simplicity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, by cluttering our lives we accept so many voluntary hardships.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful. Will cook this for my family this week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Spring to you! Hope you have had a cleansing and peaceful start to the new year :-) To us Daal is the epitome of comfort food and yours looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lush words and wonderful food for thought - thank you, welcome back, spring is here and with it a fresh chance for what is before us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dal is the ultimate comfort food to me. So good to see you back Lakshmi...
    Moong Dal is my favorite anytime..

    ReplyDelete
  14. So good to have you back Lakshmi! There is something about your writing and presentation that calms the mind and the soul.Reading it refreshes my mind.Thank you for the positivity that you bring to your readers

    ReplyDelete
  15. We have been traveling so much these few months and now I can't wait to get home to a bowl of dal. This is comfort food, Lakshmi :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very excited to see a post by you in my mailbox, I have been waiting for it. And guess what the dinner tonight was - dal and rice.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your blog, and am excited to try your latest recipe! Being of Pakistani descent, I eat all kinds of daal on a regular basis but this blend of spices is different from anything I use.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good to see your post Lashmi. Dhal is my comfort food and I lovw it with my greens.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Welcome back..hope you had a good break and have rejenuvated yourself. It certainly looks like that....your words are bursting with simplicity and energy just as much as your daal with flavours and love. I have always seen when I am at peace and am cooking with a consciousness I get the best results.
    I got up in the morning....upset that I have to clean the bathrooms, do laundry and clean up ....reading your post brought about a calmness....I can't explain.
    Hope to meet you in person some day. Very inspirational.:) have a wonderful day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made me think. Bhakti-yoga practice lies in doing reluctant tasks (cleaning, washing...) and those that are fun in the same disposition of mind and devotion. It's a good challenge and can be adapted to seeing all beings with an equal vision, too. Everyone knows how difficult it is! We are always prone to rank everything / everyone according to our likes and dislikes although, in essence, we are of the same nature.

      Delete
    2. :) so true and very well said - my mom always tells me ' do the most disliked chores, as thou you were doing it for a loved one, and see your attitude change ' do try to practice it but am only human :)) and yes all the chores are done and it was not as bad after all :)

      Delete
  20. Beautiful post! Love Dhal!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What an amazing post!!! Loved the dal lakshmi!!! Looks very comforting :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dal is such a comfort food. Good to see you back and happy Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I find it interesting that so many of you mention dal as comfort food. I had to google "comfort food" to understand you better and found it may refer to nostalgic, indulgence, convenience, or physical comfort foods. I particularly liked a definition "it positively piques emotions, to relieve negative psychological effects or to increase positive feelings". The term was first introduced, according to Webster's Dictionary, in 1977.

    Dal is very ordinary, yet is it able to show that the context of food is much larger than just a recipe manifesting on a plate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i agree at the end of the day we need simple things to comfort us :))

      Delete
  24. Welcome back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you, everyone, for stopping by. It will take some time to get tuned into the blogging rhythm again... Hopefully I will be able to keep up posting once a week. This year will be super-busy for me. But the good news is that I already have the next post in mind :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I like a lot your blog and your state of mind. This recipe look great for ... summer. I'm a little amaze. From where are this tomatoes come from ? I thought you won't used imported and out of season vegetables in your recipes. ?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi VerO, you are right: the tomatoes are imported. If I used only Finnish vegetables grown in the winter months, I would be fasting from October to May :-). There are some local greenhouse vegetables available throughout the year, like tomatoes and cucumbers. Other than that, nothing grows in snow! Out of necessity, I'm not fanatic about buying only Finnish or seasonal produce.

      Delete
  27. welcome back :) Dal brings back so many memories to me - this is a perfect pair with plain rice and simple curry.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love this blogs because of the awesome veggie recipes. I can’t wait to try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Lakshmi,

    I just made your so good looking dal for myself and my son, who has been ill for some days. Just a perfect meal with some basmati rice!
    I love your blog, your stories and the beautiful pictures and lay-out, very inspiring, Thank you so much!
    And I even put a link to your site on my own blog, I hope you don't mind,
    Karuna, Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to hear! I noticed you are cooking gluten-free. In this recipe, there is wheat flour in hing (Vandevi brand). Hopefully you omitted it or used some other brand instead. I'm glad to hear you liked the dal. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  30. When I was in India last year I bought some pure asafoetida gum and a brand which uses rice flour! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Lakshmi - I wanted to thank you for providing serenity through your blog. You have intrigued and inspired me, I am going through a confusing phase of life where my heart and mind don't feel settled. I have a strong feeling if I learn about your life, your routines, philosophies - I might be able to find some peace. How can I do that ?

    ReplyDelete
  32. Could I please also have some insight into your process of taking photos, and how do you store them / publish them online - your photo management system online ?

    ReplyDelete
  33. I thank you whole heartedly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Linda,

      Thank you for your inquiry. I’m touched by your sincerity. Regarding the first part about finding peace, you are already peaceful! Our true identity as a soul is balanced and content. The trick is to reveal and realize it under the layers of illusory designations!

      What is unsatisfied, restless and ambitious, is the false sense of self we have built since birth. Actually, birth after birth. This isn’t our first rodeo here! Insecurity arises when we can’t keep up with the changes that take place in our body, feelings, thoughts, desires, situations, relationships… They are what we identify with, are attached to, enjoy and control. Generally, people are happy when in charge and unhappy when it doesn’t go according to the plan. Dualities, polar extremes, are inseparable from the material conception of life. Thus, suffering and release from it come and go like the seasons.

      The Eastern school of philosophy considers identification with body (both, the gross and subtle) as a state of imprisonment. We build our own cell and, thus, limit our access to reality. Freedom, without understanding the transcendental dimension of life, is relative and, usually, a fantasy. Real human intelligence that separates us from animals is exercised by asking simple questions about our existence, purpose and goal, like you are doing. It comes from a natural desire to go deeper and further, to evolve. The good news is, the information is coded within ourselves, in the spiritual nature of the soul, and can be accessed at any moment, by any of us.

      If you are serious about enlightenment, you may want to study Bhagavad-gita. It’s a classic reference book on what is matter, time, karma (action), the nature of soul and God.

      Regarding photography, I’m using a modified Blogger template. I upload the posts, images included, via Live Writer because I don’t like the inbuilt editor in Blogger. The images are automatically archived in Picasa Web Album.

      If you’d like to know more about my process of photography (or anything else), perhaps you could ask specific questions via e-mail? It would be easier to break it down. My e-mail address is on the top of the page.

      Thanks again for your comment. Have a beautiful day!

      Love, Lakshmi

      Delete