May 23, 2011

Blueberry Lassi

May 23, 2011
There was a television ad by one of the world’s largest marketing companies a couple of years back that told a tale of a Polish washing machine manufacturer finding out what suddenly multiplied their sales in India. A visit to a local lassi parlour revealed the machines had been resourcefully turned into lassi blenders!

True or not, the story makes a point. A popular drink in India, lassi is enjoyed as a hot weather refreshment by and large.

There are two ways of serving yoghurt based lassi: sweet and salty. Salty lassi is garnished with spices, roasted jeera being an all time favourite. Sweet lassi has, besides sugar, fruits or berries added. This recipe calls for blueberries but you are free to substitute them with any other ones.


BLUEBERRY LASSI

1 l yoghurt or sourmilk
5 dl cold water (or as much as it takes to reach a preferred consistency)
6 dl blueberries
2-3 dl raw sugar (adjust the amount to your liking)
A pinch of vanilla powder

Mix everything in a blender. If you have a lunch party with a large crowd, try a washing machine :-).

13 comments :

  1. wow such a spectacular blog..really really impressive...and the pictures are just mind blowing. honored to be here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have spent hours and hours on your flickr stream..Not only is your photography beautiful but also your words..Beautiful work..glad that you started the blog..I m a HUGE fan already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I belive it can be thruth with a wasching machine. The name of it was FRANIA and it was one of the best maschine you could get during comunist time in Poland. When my husband was a chief cook at the restaurant in Gdansk, they use Frania for making fresh butter from dubble cream. It was out much better than any other butter maker.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousJuly 07, 2011

    Beautiful blog and I love lassi--all flavors-savory and sweet. Your asparagus and coocnut soup sounds devine too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you!

    Cintamani, that is so funny! Frania sounds like a real treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lakshmi,
    Your posts and photographs are so nice and serene, I am almost lost jumping from post to post wanting for more and before I realize, I would've spent a decent amount of time soaking in...
    Just keep doing whatever you do, it is sooo good!
    Also, love everything about this berry Lassi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lakshmi I love your blog. Stumbled on it when you posted about the blueberry pie. Love your photos and all the recipes you talk about. I too have heard about the washing machine used for churning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmm, this looks amazing! I just bought some blackberries at the mini-Pike Place Market today. I'll have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is simply beautiful. Not amazing, gorgeous or lovely, but beautiful. I just found your blog. Everything you do here is an inspiration to me from now on! Lassi is always a favourite of mine during the summer time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you!!! Magnificently washing machine !!! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can I use purple grapes instead of Bluberries?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never tried grapes with yogurt or milk products because I have a feeling they might curdle the dairy. I maybe wrong. If you try, please let us know.

      Delete
  12. Great article. Thanks for sharing such a informative post.

    non woven bags making machine price

    ReplyDelete